In a famous quote, Dwight D. Eisenhower said “We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security”. This quote also holds true for Internet security as well. No matter how much we try, absolute protection from hacking is not possible. That’s why it is very important for us to know how to recover a hacked AT&T email account in case of a security breach.
Getting your account hacked can be devastating for your online privacy. So, you should act quickly. Go through this post to know how to track if your AT&T email account is hacked. We are also providing some easy steps to retrieve an AT&T email account that is hacked.
Signs indicating a Hacked AT&T Email Account – How to know my AT&T email is hacked?
The sophisticated and meticulous techniques used by hackers these days make it very tough for a common man to know that his account is hacked. Sometimes, a person keeps on using his email account for months before he came to know about the hacking.
On a positive note, we can say that there are some signs and symptoms that you should look for in your email account. These signs/ symptoms are as follows.
- Your Account is sending Spam Messages – If people complain that they are receiving spam messages from your email address. These people can be from your address book or even strangers. It should raise a flag because it is a clear indication that someone is sending emails on your behalf without even letting you know. In such a situation you should run AT&T email account recovery immediately.
- Not receiving any email – In case you are not receiving any email then it is also a sign of hacking. It is possible that the hacker might be diverting the incoming emails to another email address using filters and other settings in your AT&T email account.
- You are missing important emails – You should be alert in case you are noticing that there are missing some important emails every now and then. Hackers might be diverting those emails to another email account.
- Receiving a large number of undelivered and bounced emails without even sending them – Bounced emails are those emails that come back to your email account in case there is a problem with the email account of your recipient. Receiving a large number of unknown bounced emails is a clear indication that the account security is compromised and emails have been sent from the account.
- Unable to sign in to AT&T Email – Well, it is obvious, making a typing mistake while entering your login credentials is not the only possible reason why you can’t log into your AT&T account. The first thing many hackers do after getting access to an email account is changing the password.
- Unknown Emails in your sent folder – In case you have an array of unknown emails in your sent folder then you should change your password immediately. It shows that the hacker is sending emails without your knowledge.
How to recover a hacked AT&T Email Account?
Honestly, getting a hacked AT&T email account back depends on what are the things the hacker is able to change within your account. But there are some general steps that you should follow as soon as you come to know about the hacking. Here are the exact steps you need to follow.
1st Step – Change AT&T Email Password
- The first thing you need to do to immediately minimize the risk to your AT&T email account is changing the password.
- While changing the password you must ensure that you choosing a strong one. An ideal password has a tough combination of small letters, capital letters, numbers, and symbols.
2nd Step – Update AT&T Password Recovery Option
- There is no point in changing the password if you don’t update the AT&T password recovery option.
- Check and update that your latest phone number and alternate email account are associated with your AT&T email account.
- Apart from this, you should also create and update security questions and answers within your AT&T Email account.
- Updating the password recovery option choke down the window through which a hacker can access your email.
3rd Step – Protect your computer
Some viruses, malware, spyware, etc. associated with your computer can also steal your AT&T email password. Follow the steps mentioned to protect your device from such threats.
- Firstly, you should scan your computers with an up-to-date anti-virus program. The AT&T internet security suite also includes very capable antivirus programs.
- Some malware aren’t detected by antivirus scan. So, you may also use an up-to-date malware application.
- Make sure that you are using an updated version of the operating system. Update the same if you are still using an obsolete and less secured version.
4th Step – Check Setting in your AT&T Email account
Open Settings on your AT&T Email account and look for suspicious activity in the following things.
- Email Signature – Look for any change and unknown content.
- Accounts – Check for an unknown email address under POP or forward list. At the same time, you should verify the sender’s name, reply-to address, spam settings, etc.
- Blocked Email addresses – Verify that your important contacts are not in the block email addresses list.
- Vacation Response – In case you don’t need it then you should disable the vacation response.
- Review Contacts – Delete all unknown persons from your contact list.
Keep your AT&T Email account safe
Some tips to prevent your AT&T Email account from hacking are as follows.
- Never share your AT&T email password with anyone even if a person claims to be from AT&T.
- Restrict yourself from clicking random emails within your email account.
- Don’t click on the links available in emails from an unknown person.
- Keep an updated antivirus installed on your device.